Creating a Google Cloud Billing Account
Google Cloud Billing Accounts allow you to configure payment and track spending in GCP.
Note that you may not need a Google Cloud Billing Account if someone else, e.g., a colleague, a lab, or cloud credits program, will be managing and paying for your compute costs.
Check with your institutional procurement office for a preferred method to set up your Google Cloud Account, such as using a third-party reseller or an existing account
Before setting up your Google Cloud Billing Account:
- Decide what email address to use. The email you choose must be associated with a Google ID (see Obtaining a Google ID) and must be the email you will use to log in to Terra.
- Decide what payment method (credit card, debit card, PayPal, or bank account) you will use.
- Determine if you will set up as an individual or business. If you are setting up an account for a company, organization, lab, or institution, select "Business.” If you are setting up as yourself, choose “Individual.”
To create your first Google Cloud Billing Account:
- Navigate to https://console.cloue.google.com/billing. If this is your first time logging into GCP, you will be asked to agree to the terms of service.
- Login with, or switch to, the correct Google ID (email).
- Select your organization from the Select your lab from the “Select an organization” if the dropdown is available.
- If you are not already on the “MY BILLING ACCOUNTS” tab, select it.
- Select “ADD BILLING ACCOUNT”.
- On the next screen, select your country and optionally currency if applicable.
- Select “CONTINUE” and follow the instructions to attach or create a Google Payments Profile to fund the new Google Billing Account.
- Select “START MY FREE TRIAL”.
If this is the first Google Billing Account created for your lab’s new GCP Account, you will now have $300 in cloud cost credits that you can use for 90 days. See Google Cloud Free Program to understand more about Google’s 90-day, $300 free trial and free tier.
Note that you will not be “auto charged” on the free trial ends. You won’t be charged unless you manually upgrade to a paid account.
Viewing your new GCP Billing Account
The first time a GCP Billing Account is created it is named “My Billing Account” by default.
To view and modify this billing account:
- Select billing in the “Navigation” menu.
- Select the “MY BILLING ACCOUNTS” tab.
For more information on creating billing accounts, see Create, modify, or close your Cloud Billing account.